It soon became evident that the existing premises were inadequate. It was not possible to extend the site sufficiently, and in 1959 the club purchased from Bill Monaghan land and a weatherboard cottage at 231 Keen Street. The building was lifted above flood level and the upstairs redesigned to suit the needs of the members, whilst downstairs became a recreational area. Raising the cottage was done by Joe Risk, and Charlie Raison carried out the renovations. During this time membership stood at around 500.
The club’s popularity grew over the next twelve months and once again the clubhouse was found to be too small. Plans were prepared for more additions and every available piece of land owned by the club was utilised for these extensions, which were carried out by Robb & Brown Ltd at a cost of £25,000 ($50,000.00).
In April 1963 the adjacent property of 235 Keen Street was purchased from the Leben Estate for the sum of £4,900 ($9,800.00). This was needed to provide car parking space. Around the same time, with membership at 1850, further extensions were planned and two properties between the club and Trevans were purchased from Henry Peanna. One was a cottage and the other a small shop.
Architects Leslie J. Buckland and Druce of Parramatta were engaged to draw up plans, and tenders were invited for the construction. W.J.Green & Sons Pty Ltd of Casino were the successful tenderers with a price of £127,124.80 ($254,248.80). These extensions were officially opened by K.C.Compton, MLA, the then Minister for Lands and Member for Lismore, on Saturday 10 October 1964.
The club’s first billiard table was purchased from Frank Meany of Wardell in 1963 for the sum of £30 ($60.00). Others were purchased from the Nimbin School of Arts, the Hotel Moobal and the Lismore Club. Prior to the introduction of snooker into the club, regular pin pool competitions were conducted. Other entertainment included euchre, crib, darts and indoor bowls competitions on a weekly basis. Since the early 1960s cricket and baseball teams have represented the club in outdoor competitions, followed later by soccer, softball, rugby league, water polo etc. Apart from the above mentioned sports, the club also sponsors teams in golf (men’s and ladies’), bowls, men’s outdoor bowls, ladies’ indoor bowls, ten pin bowling, hockey, netball, touch football, basketball and fishing.
In keeping with the growth of Lismore and our ever increasing club membership, the club in recent years has been able to provide further benefits to members by expanding their memberships to two other clubs in the city. This was achieved through amalgamations, firstly with the Lismore Heights Bowling Club (renamed the Workers Heights Bowling Club), which took place in December 1994, and secondly with the Lismore Golf Club (now known as the Lismore Workers Golf Club), which took place in March 2000. The Workers Sports Club in Oliver Avenue Goonellabah became part of the Workers Group of clubs in May 2006. Workers Heights Bowling Club is no longer part of the Group of Clubs after de-amalgamation was finalised in November 2014.
Through extensions and the introduction of a range of new equipment, the club’s gymnasium is now regarded as the best in Lismore. In February 2003 the club commenced major renovations in both the Mirror Bar area downstairs and the Tudor Bistro upstairs at a cost of approximately $1,500,000. A construction period of just over three months saw the opening of the new bar and bistro.